Refuse Collection Department
Learn about Middletown’s trash and recycling program
New to town?
Welcome to Middletown!
Here is a quick rundown on our trash and recycling program:
We have a two part system and both parts need to be in place in order for your trash, recycling and yard waste to be collected:
1) You pay an annual user fee as part of your application to the town’s refuse collection program. We will issue a small sticker for each of your trash and recycling carts so the driver of the truck knows you are part of the town’s program. Our annual billing cycle runs from November 1 through October 31. We do offer a half-year program from May 1 through October for half-price. We do not offer a military or senior discount.
2) You must purchase yellow Pay As You Throw (PAYT) trash bags at local stores to use for the disposal of your regular non-recyclable trash. These special PAYT bags serve two purposes: the money raised by the sale of these bags helps pay for the collection and disposal of our trash, recycling and yard waste, plus the price of the bags provides a financial incentive for residents to recycle as much as possible., In other words, PAYT users make a greater effort to dispose of their newspapers and milk jugs in the recycling containers in order to minimize the amount of regular trash that has to be placed in the yellow trash bags. All of your recyclables can be placed in blue container loose, without a PAYT bag.
The PAYT bags are available for purchase in supermarkets, pharmacies and hardware stores in Middletown. They cost $1.75 per 15-gallon bag, and $2.00 per 33-gallon bag and are sold in sleeves of five. The bags are not taxed.
Each household is issued a gray refuse cart and a blue recycling cart Contact the recycling coordinator 401-842-6519 or firstname.lastname@example.org if your container is damaged or you require additional carts.
All regular household refuse must be placed in a yellow PAYT trash bag and placed in the gray cart for collection. Visit www.middletownri.com for a complete list of stores selling PAYT bags.
Care and use of your cart:
• Always keep the lid closed to keep rain, snow and animals out.
• Clean your cart periodically.
• When placed at the curb, maintain three feet of space between your carts, mailbox, car, etc., to allow enough room for the mechanical arm to grab the cart.
The gray refuse cart and the blue recycling cart will be collected weekly. All materials should be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day. (Collection days)
Trash and recycling carts can be placed out as early as 7 p.m. the night before your collection day and all carts need to be off the street by 7 a.m. the day following your collection day.
You do not need to sort your recyclables – all acceptable recyclable materials may go in your blue recycling cart. Please visit www.recycletogetherri.com for a detailed list of acceptable recyclable material.
Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves, small branches, etc.) is collected four weeks in April, every other week May through October, four weeks in November and a week in December. Christmas trees are collected in January. All yard waste materials will be composted, so please DO NOT place any trash in with your yard waste. Yard waste must be placed in containers clearly marked ‘Yard Waste’, in bundles or in paper compost bags and placed curbside on your regular collection day. Containers/bags should weigh no more than 50 lbs and branches must be tied in bundles, no longer than 4 ft. Be sure to leave a trash or recycling cart out until yard waste and/or Christmas trees have been collected. Yard waste will only be collected from households participating in the PAYT program.
The following items will NOT be accepted or collected as waste or as yard waste:
• Dirt, sod, concrete or rock • Construction/demolition debris • Household hazardous waste • Hot ashes or flammable materials such as oil, gas or paint
Bulky waste and white goods
Bulky waste includes items that will not fit inside a PAYT bag like sofas, chairs, mattresses and carpets. White goods are refrigerators, washers, dryers, microwave ovens, and air conditioners, etc. For the collection of bulky items, residents must first purchase a bulky item sticker and then contact Republic Services at 1-800-825-3260 ex. 3 to schedule the collection. Republic Services collects bulk waste the first and third Tuesday of every month. Sticker prices will vary depending on the item or items.
Remember to donate your gently used items to Big Sisters, Boys & Girls club of Newport, Child & Family Services, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, James L. Maher Center, Habitat for Humanity – ReStore program, International Institute of RI, Salvation Army or try giving it away using freecycle.org or craigslist.orgwww.craigslist.org.
Bulk Waste Amnesty Days
The Town of Middletown will also hold four events for free drop-off of bulk waste items. NO household trash or construction debris will be accepted. You MUST call 401-842-6519 or email email@example.com to schedule a drop-off appointment. Location of the events will be announced as the date approaches.
Household hazardous waste
Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation will host an Eco-Depot, a household hazardous waste drop -off event three times on Aquidneck Island throughout the year. Visit www.RIRRC.org for upcoming events.
These drop-off events provide Rhode Island residents an opportunity to dispose of items such as cleaning chemicals, electronics, pesticides, garage chemicals, herbicides, etc. Call 401-942-1430 x241 to make an appointment.
Sign up for our emails by visiting www.middletown.simplelists.com and keep informed of upcoming events, weather delays and program news!